Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Questions answered and more arise in their place

Went back to the doctor yesterday with my questions that had arisen over the weekend. 3 pages of them.

My doctor looked at them and started commenting about how smart I was to do this, I told her no.. it was my mild OCD kicking in and trying to regain a little control over the rollercoaster that has become my life recently. I was actually supposed to see both doctors, mine and her partner, (partner will be leading the surgery) but they thought partner had already left for the day. After I had finished talking to her, we found him and I got to talk to him also. Some of the answers were different, but not markedly so.

I got a lot accomplished. I got hormone levels done (4 sticks.. I'm a hard draw. Not complaining, just a fact) and I should get those results on Thursday. Hopefully this will show how far I am into menopause.

We discussed the possibility of keeping my cervix.. but that won't happen. sigh. Too much chance of cancer having invaded there.

I did get a script for Xanax. This has been very helpful. I took one after we got home and it relaxed me so much I was able to sleep for 2 hours straight. I will cut them in half from now on though... and be very judicious in taking them. I don't want to be zombied or too numb to work through the grieving process. But there are times that the crying just goes on and on and on..that would be the time to use the med. (this is when it was good that I had seen my doc first.. *male* partner said he wouldn't have given me anything.. ha.. he doesn't have to live with this overly emotional woman)

I also got a consult with a Gyn/Oncologist in Dallas at the Baylor University Sammons Cancer Center on July 11th at 1:30pm. Already discussions have begun about how to treat after surgery should it really be cancer. I'm afraid I will end up with an abdominal incision. More pain, longer recovery.

Now I need to find out what stores (a yarn store?? a LYS??) might be nearby. I plan to arrive early, Dallas traffic can be bad. Maybe stay the night. Unfortunately DH will be out of town and won't be able to go with me. sigh.

On the down side, I found out I will have to do a bowel prep *yuck* and I forgot to ask about donating my own blood, whether I will have a urinary catheter in place, TEDS hose, IV Pain med pump and if drawing blood for a cancer marker would be worthwhile.

Oh well, I can always go back on Thursday or Friday. They are going to get tired of seeing me.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

*hugs*

Lisa said...

Thanks!! I can use all the hugs I can get. :)

Unknown said...

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers girl! Take a deep breath, please? I don't think the docs will get sick of you...I bet they appreciate someone like you who asks questions and knows what you are about to undergo! (ummm...my doc told me that little tid bit when I went through this)!

Anonymous said...

Don't worry about being a pest, Lisa, you just do what you need to do! {hugs}!

Madelyn said...

Hugs and prayers coming your way.