Monday, July 18, 2005

Feeling Irish?

5-Ring Rose


I've been playing with Irish Crochet recently. I didn't feel like using the tiny thread that IC is supposed to use, so I used some Aunt Lydia's fashion thread. I think it's size 3. Also used a G hook. I think it turned out ok. The ends haven't been woven in because I don't know if I will keep this, or what to do with it now that it's made.

Picot-petal Rose

Here's another one. Same deal, ends not secured because I have no idea what to do with the thing. Both patterns came from "The Ultimate Sourcebook of Knitting and Crochet Stitches" which I got at 1/2 price from a Barnes & Nobles that was going out of business (lost their lease).

5-Petal Flower

And here's one that is in progress. It's a little different in that I'm making it in size 10 thread. It's not great thread, being a cheapo brand.. but it was on clearance and is good enough to play with when learning stitches or experimenting. I don't mean to be a threadsnob.. but there IS a huge difference in thread. If you can afford the better thread, I'd advise using it.. it's so much easier on the fingers.

In the above pattern the leaves are added on seperately after the flower is completed. I used a size 5 steel hook (boye.. my preference.)

Comparison:













Demonstrating what a huge difference thread and hook size can make.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lisa, The 5 ring Irish Rose you made in thread reminds me of a rose Afghan I made about 30 years ago using worsted W yarn ,Rose was in red, Med green leaves & finished into a square with a dark creamy color.Don't remember hook size but I'd guess a H
Your roses would be pretty in a colored thread made into a granny sq. afghan but not me.(smile) too much work.Elsie