Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Why do people like politics?

Just thinking outloud here. Why do people like politics and political discussions? Why do folks like to argue in the first place? It seems so unpleasant.

I am so adverse to arguments.. I feel myself tremble and shake inside when arguments start. I do not like them, Sam I am. I really don't.. and I've even participated in a few, still don't like them.

In many ways, I'd just prefer to lie down and rollover(.. rub my belly please) than have an argument. This probably costs me a lot, and I've gotten better over time in standing up for myself, but I'm still very conflict aversion oriented.

I wonder if this aversion came from my strict upbringing where we weren't allowed to cry. Well we did cry, but I can remember being told "Stop crying or I'll give you something to cry about" and trying so hard to swallow the tears and it hurt my throat so bad.

I don't know. I do know I've tried to never use that phrase with my kids. I probably failed and did use it a time or two, but not as much as it was used on me.

All this is to say that I have views about things that I won't express because I don't want the arguments. And people who enjoy politics and arguments perplex me.

Just because I'm silent, doesn't mean I agree with you.

No comments: